Andrea Goldman has recently completed the Skills in Divorce Mediation as hosted by the Law Society of South Africa and Legal Education and Development (LEAD).
Mediation is becoming a far more common option in settling divorces without the necessity of incurring significant legal fees and without the usual acrimony that goes hand in hand with opposed divorces.
Mediation embraces the parties desire to settle the end of their marriage and all the issues relating to that end by allowing the parties the ability to be in control of the outcome of the divorce process.
Some of the benefits to mediation include:
1. Mediation is less expensive than litigation;
2. If the disputes are settled at mediation, the divorce will proceed more quickly than if it were to be litigated;
3. Parties are generally more satisfied with solutions that have been mutually agreed upon, as opposed to solutions that are imposed by a court;
4. Compliance with the agreement reached as parties feel they were actively involved in the decisions and agreement reached thus resulting in less matters proceeding to court after the divorce for non- compliance with the agreement reached;
5. Personal empowerment by the parties taking an active as opposed to passive role in their divorce;
6. Workable and practical solutions reached are appropriate to each individual matter as each case is
treated in an individual manner.
If you would like assistance in a mediation or have any queries or concerns, please feel free to contact Andrea Goldman of our offices.